What is Kubeconfig?
A kubeconfig file is a configuration file used by the Kubernetes command-line tool
kubectl to connect to a specific Kubernetes cluster. The file contains information such as the cluster’s server address and authentication credentials. It also allows you to switch between different clusters and contexts within a cluster, such as different namespaces or user accounts. With Taikun, you can quickly generate a Kubeconfig file and use it on your machine to access the Kubernetes cluster you created in the previous step.
Generate Kubeconfig for your Project
To create a Kubeconfig file:
1. Open the page of your Project
2. Locate the Kubeconfigs link among the function buttons of your Cluster3. Press and define the necessary characteristics of your file
4. Choose a Name: use at least 3 lowercase alphanumeric characters
5. Choose a Namespace: an isolated group located within the clusters
6. Choose a Role: you can choose between admin/edit/view
7. Select a Predefined or a Custom Validity Period: choose a period the Kubeconfig will expire
8. Select a Kubeconfig Type:
- Personal Kubeconfig: only selected User is allowed
- Application Kubeconfig: choose if only project Managers are allowed or all users with access to the project
9. Use the downloaded .YAML file to access your Cluster
You can directly access your cluster in Taikun. Your Kubeconfig file is already authenticated. Run kubectl command line to interact with your cluster. You can find more details about it in our Knowledge Base page.